Prof. (Dr). Mohamed Rela Liver Transplant Surgeon in Rela Hospital Chennai
Prof. (Dr). Mohamed Rela top Liver Transplant Surgeon in India. Prof. Mohamed Rela is a pioneer in liver transplantation with over 28 years of experience. He started the Institute of Liver Disease and Transplantation at Global Gleneagles Health City in 2009. It has quickly become the largest liver transplant program in India. Since its inception, over 1500 liver transplantation surgeries have been performed under this programme. He is also a professor of Liver Transplant Surgery at Kings College Hospital, London. Prof. Mohamed Rela, moved from Global Gleneagles group of hospitals to start ‘Dr. Rela Institute & Medical Centre’. His vision is to address the health care concerns of the local population with international standards. He also aims to provide cost-effective high-end treatments like multi-organ transplantation.
M.B.B.S - 1982, University of Madras, India. M.S - 1987, University of Madras, India. FRCS - 1988, Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh, United Kingdom. DSc (Honoris causa) - 2013, The Tamil Nadu Dr MGR Medical University, India.
Prof. Mohamed Rela is one of the most accomplished surgeons in the world. He has published over 400 scientific articles and papers on liver transplantation, complex hepatobiliary pancreatic surgery and more. He has performed over 4000 liver transplant surgeries. In December 1997, a team led by him performed successful liver transplantation on a five-day-old girl, which gave him an entry into the Guinness Book of World Records in 2000. She is now a 20-year-old law student. He has pioneered the technique of split liver transplantation where one cadaver liver is split into two and transplanted into two individuals. As per an article published by ‘Top Masters in Healthcare Administration’, he is also one of the most Innovative Paediatric Surgeons alive.
Honors & Awards
Panchanna Chaterjee Oration and Gold Medal: Association of Surgeons of India. December, 1996. Senior Lecturer: King’s College, University of London, 2001. Recognised Teacher status and PhD Supervisor: University of London, 2001. Professor of Liver Surgery and Transplantation: King’s College, University of London, 2005. Scroll of Honour and Medal: Jawaharlal Institute of Post graduate Medical Education and Research (JIPMER), Pondicherry, 2009. Dr Madhanagopal Oration and Medal: Madras Medical College, 2010. Scroll of Honour: The Tamilnadu Dr. MGR Medical University, 2012.
Affiliations And Memberships
BMA: British Medical Association. RSM: Royal Society of Medicine. BTS: British Transplantation Society. ILTS: International liver transplant society. AUGIS: Association of Upper GI surgeons of Great Britain. ESOT: European Society of Organ Transplantation. BASL: British Association of Study of the Liver. IHPBA: International Hepato-Pancreato Biliary Association. APASL: The Asian Pacific Association for the Study of the Liver. AST: American Society of Transplantation.
Breast Oncology (Tata memorial Hospital).
Speciality And Areas Of Interest
Breast conservation, Oncoplasty, Breast cancer awareness, Oligometastatic disease.
DESCRIPTION OF OUR FREE HEALTHCARE CONCIERGE SERVICES FOR MEDICAL TRAVELLERS:
1. Consulting Services & Treatment Package Creation : Personal medical record is required to accurately assess a treatment plan.
2. Physician C.V: Medical records transfer to physician for treatment and pricing options.
3. Second Opinion : Medical report for consultation by your specialist doctors a feedback is expected within 72hours [3days].
4. Budget Friendly Treatment Plans : Expect to have as many referrals from different hospitals detailing their second opinion and the cost of treatment.
5. Medical Visa Assistance: Once the patient is satisfied with respect to the advised treatment and hospital and finalize their plan for coming to India , we assist the patient in obtaining medical visa. The patient has to apply on his own for the same in High Commission of India (Indian embassy) in their home country. We provide an invitation letter to the patient from the respective hospital which is required for submitting their visa application. Also, our team is trained to provide any information/query that the patient may have regarding medical visa and medical attendant visa.
6. Treatment Itinerary : When see doctor, When operation takes place extra, also contact details for the ward room .
7. Personal case manager: Once the patient arrives to the designated country for treatment he/she becomes our full responsibility. To handle any cases arising from hospital/ doctor negligence or malpractice to the patients. Also organized the accommodation and stay of the members accompanying the patient we will be responsible for their safety.
8. Interpretation: Interpretation assistance if necessary
9. Communication: Assist in communicating with family and home. Mobile phone or telephone card.
10. Airport support arrival / departure.: Complimentary airport pick-up / drop-off in a cab.
11. Post care rehab: Post care rehab and nursing needs.
12. Wellness and spa packages: Wellness and spa packages added pre and post procedures. Palade , yoga and spiritual classes. Resort accommodation at 4 to 5 star level.
13. Follow-up support: Provide free support when patients come back their home countries.